Thursday, March 19, 2009

Play day!

I had a day off on Tuesday and it was a glorious 74 degrees! Woo-hoo!! Totally unheard of this time of the year. My friend Katherine Sands sent me the Color By Design by Ann Johnston that I ordered from her site. I was so inspired. Of course I didn't have all the materials I needed yet. I found old dye laying around and just decided to go for it. The fabric is white cotton and I had soaked it in soda ash and let it dry naturally. The dyes were from an old tie dye kit so I wasn't holding out a lot of hope. I was thoroughly surprised with the results and so excited about the possibilities.

First I squirted the dye on to the fabric and then used a brush to smoosh the dye around. I let it sit for about 8 hours and then washed it.



This has an underwater feel to it. Really finding that a lot in my work lately - ironic as I can't swim.




This reminds me of a sunset swamp, water and misty trees. Really excited about these pieces.

1 comment:

HockeyKitten said...

Beautiful stuff Pea, can't wait to see what you do with it.