Thursday, May 31, 2007


Today I am posting a wall hanging I finished a few weeks ago. I created it to look like an actual waterfall with rocks and grasses etc. My camera was giving me a pretty hard time. Then I took the picture the wrong way and didn't have a program to correct the orientation. Steve finally helped me out. Thanks Steve!
I was pretty happy with the results. I created the log and the rocks out of the puffy paint and used dryer sheets to create the water cascading down. The finished piece came out far better than I had imagined. This will open the door to a lot more ideas and pieces. I have a few ideas banging around in my head. I just have to put paint to fabric and get started.
I have hit a period of burnout at the moment. School is winding down and summer is upon us so it is a little harder to get things done. I also have 6 more postcards to do and no energy to do it. Maybe when the slow pace of summer hits, I can get some things accomplished. Ha-ha.

Sunday, May 20, 2007

5 more postcards

I am posting some more fiber postcards. The first one is called Bubbles. I was filling a pot with water to cook some pasta and noticed this really cool pattern. So I decided to try and create it in fabric and beads. Not really what I wanted but the final outcome was pretty cool.
The next three are a series created from hand dyed fabric. Finally had a nice day outside so I decided to pull out my sun printing dyes and create abstract flowers. Wasn't as happy with the results but . . . .
The last one was another experiment in textiva, free motion sewing, fabric sheets and beads to create a sea and sand kind of motif. I liked it a lot and think it might be a bigger project in the future.
Have a great day

Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Dance of the Jellys

I am posting a photo of my latest creation. I hav also decided to enter it into a quilt show. The theme is Swirls, Twirls and Pearls. It was created on white fabric and I appliqued the jellyfish shape onto the background. Then I quilted the entire background by hand using silver thread. The next step was coloring the background. I layered dyes and paints until I achieved the colors I liked. Then the jellyfish themselves were painted. The fun part was then adding all the embellishments. The jelly on the left side was made from sheer fabric, cut into the shapes and handed stitched and beaded. They were also stuffed with irridescent fibers (the kind used in Easter baskets and wrapping). It was also used on the top of that jelly. The bottoms of the jelly's were made from material used to create roman shades. I dyed them and them pulled the tread to scrunch them up, stitched it to the quilt and then added beads. i couldn't find the color I needed so I painted them with irridescent paint after stitched. The top of the right hand side was white yarn, dyed to get the purple color. The litle jelly's around the quilt were created using textiva and mutlicolored fibers. It was a lot of work but I am pleased with the results. Hope you like it.

Friday, May 4, 2007

Devil is in the Details

I just realized that I haven't posted a picture of one of the latest quilts I have finished. It was an answer to a challenge in the Quilting Arts Magazine. There were four phrases to choose from and devils in the details just jumped out at me. It looks like a rather simple little quilt at first glance. Then you notice the colors and you move in for a closer look. Then you see that the bark is actually millions of little stitches in various shades to help add texture to the trees. As you look closer, you will finally notice the tiny little ant walking across the leaf. I thought this perfectly fit the idea of devil in the details since it is the very small little things that make the overall piece a success.
Hope you like it. Feel free to drop me a line or comment.