Saturday, November 10, 2007

Alzheimers Quilt Initiative





So the big Houston show was going on and a group of us would not be attending. So a yahoo group challenge was issued to create a small piece - under 9" x 12" - using what you had and finish in two weeks. The finished piece could be donated to the Alzheimers Quilt Initiative to help raise money for Alzheimers research. Here is the website - http://www.amisimms.com/alartquin.html
Well I managed to create four!!
First, I used scraps of fabrics and pieced them together adding batting and backing. Didn't know what I was going to do until this challenge came along. So I ended up cutting this up into 4 pieces. I trapped tinsel under turquoise netting to create water. Then used fabric crayons to add more details to the rocks and then thread painted them. It was the first time trying the thread painting technique and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I loved doing it and the final look of the pieces were so nice. Needless to say, I will be doing that one again.
Please stop by Ami's website to browse all the wonderful art and hopefully you will find one you have to have for yourself.
Thanks

No comments: