Monday, November 10, 2008

Finished!



I took this Elements class at Quilt University with Linda Schmidt over a year ago. I made four art pieces and never managed to finish any of them - until now!
I have been slowly working on this in between kid activities. Finally finished it yesterday. This was obviously the element of fire. Her binding techniques called for either a sheer border or to do a pieced border. Neither seemed to work for me so I left it as. One of the reasons I didn't finish this on time is because I didn't do a small version of this. The class samples were supposed to be done in a 9" x 12" format or thereabouts. I like working a little bigger so that is part of the reason this took so long. I plan on using this in my bedroom. One down and three more to go.

5 comments:

Judy Sall said...

What a beautiful piece! I'm curious... what did you use for the shiny 'fire' effect? It almost looks like opalescent cellophane!

Judy

pcoxdesign said...

We were supposed to use metallic tinsel but I couldn't find any. I used metallic "hay" - the type used in baskets or gifts to add a little sparkle. Put a small pile on a non stick paper, cover with another so you don't ruin your iron and then press quickly. Not to long or you loose the colors. Kind of like angelina fibers but thicker. The pieces will adhere to each other. Then you can cut to shape needed. Add an overlay of a sheer or netting and then sew it in place. Great sparkly effect.

kathy said...

Very cool, Patty!

Judy Alexander said...

I took this class a coupld of years ago and it was great! Nice job.

Meg in Albuquerque said...

I got my fire piece done, but I haven't even started on the earth project yet, maybe that is what I should do over the holidays, maybe I'll even post them. Thanks for the encouragement to get them done!