Thursday, January 31, 2008

More Fabric Experiments!

I decided to do a few more fabric paintings. I used the Neocolors because I am in love with the final finished pieces.



This was a blend of colors from yellow through purple. Just drawing from corner to corner. I was impatient and heat set it before it was totally dry and ended up getting these cool shapes in the colors.



This was a winter looking piece. I used rubber stamps and the neocolors and did rubbings of the trees. I added more details in to make the trees more lifelike. I heat set with an iron and then drew colors into the background. Once I was satisfied with the colors, I used a brush and water to blend the whole piece. Heat setting the crayons kept the trees from bleeding.



This was the backside of the fabric. The trees looked more mysterious and less like trees. Interesting possibilities.



Christine (the chick who needs to buy a vowel in Walnut Creek) has been trying to get me to join the TIF Challenge. I didn't get in but I am in on the waiting list. I really didn't have an idea of what I wanted to do until I started playing with my crayons. So I created the background with the color theme, added water to blend and let it dry. When it was dry, I did rubbings of various trees to create a scene. I heat set with an iron. Now I have to finish this off. So many ideas, so little time . . . .

5 comments:

Melly Testa said...

Really good work! Keep it up.

Holly Knott said...

Hello! This is Holly, the author of the Quilting Arts article about the Caran D'ache crayons you've been using. I just stumbled across your blog and WOW, GREAT work!!! I love the trees! So glad to hear my article was an inspiration for you. I'm going to bookmark your blog and see what else you come up with. :-)

pcoxdesign said...

Wow! Thanks Holly! I will be sure to check yours out too!!
Thanks for stopping by!

Aussie Jo said...

This is a wonderful background fabric. I have just painted a background for some postcards for Susan Lenz's Cyber Fyber swap, but didn't think of crayon rubbings. Did you do these over rubber stamps???

pcoxdesign said...

I just noticed your question! Sorry about that. Yes I did use rubber stamps and rubbed the neocolors over the top. To keep them from blending, I heat set them with an iron. I then used a little water to blur out the edges. It didn't wash out completely but gave it this wonderful dreamy appearance.