Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Painting Fabric






It has been such a dreary and gloomy winter. Every weekend has had some major weather maker. So I was longing for some bold, bright colors and decided to paint some fabric. This first one is a storm rolling in while the sun was setting. This was over the summer when we had this crazy storm blow through just south of us. I painted it on black fabric so it is much more moody than intended but really loved the results.
The next two are fabric paints in a couple of blues. I watered them down and then painted white fabric. After they were dry, I went back in with more fabric paints in different muted colors and blended them into the areas that were lighter to create clouds. I hadn't realized I had used the velveteen white until I went to heat set the pieces. Velveteen will puff up slightly to give you a texture. So now my clouds have a little more depth to them.
The last two were done with Caran d'Ache Neocolor II water color crayons. I just started drawing with them. The seaside was done on a piece of fabric I had painted with watered down fabric paint. I was experimenting to see if I could go back into it with the crayons. I pulled out details to create clouds, land and sand. Very moody. The other was just playing with the various oranges, reds and purples with some blues in for good measure. I love how vibrant this came out.
My husband bought me these crayons on a whim one day and I about fainted when he came home with them. He had no idea I had been coveting them ever since reading the article by Holly Knott in the QA magazine!! Sometimes I think we share the same brain!!

4 comments:

Gayle said...

Oh what beautiful fabric.

I sure wish you would do a little tutorial so I could learn to do this. Just beautiful.

Gayle

pcoxdesign said...

I will work on that as soon as I clear my plate of a few things. Thanks for the interest.
Patty

Sue Andrus said...

Wow, I just stumbled in from Virginia Spiegel's site. I love the fabrics you ended up with! The black fabric is really interesting.

pcoxdesign said...

Thanks!